Thursday, January 8, 2009

John Smoltz Turns His Back On Atlanta



This is not a Gay issue, but I love the Braves. I can not believe that Smoltz is turning his back on the Braves and going to the Red Sox.

Smoltz, 41, has reached a preliminary agreement with the Red Sox on a $5.5 million contract, according to major-league sources. The deal is pending a physical, which is slated for Monday.

The deal also will include $5 million in incentives, giving Smoltz the chance to earn a total of $10.5 million, sources said.

With Smoltz, who is coming off shoulder surgery, the Red Sox would have six veteran starters.

Smoltz has been with the Braves organization since August 12, 1987, when the team acquired him from the Tigers for pitcher Doyle Alexander. The team entered the offseason planning to reconstruct its rotation and then re-sign Smoltz and free-agent lefthander Tom Glavine if they were still available.

Glavine, unlike Smoltz, is unwilling to play for any team but the Braves.

With Smoltz coming off major surgery, the Braves were not inclined to guarantee him significant doll

"I was going to withhold comment until the announcement of my signing with a new team, but I now feel the need to clear up any misconceptions and inaccuracies about the contract negotiations between myself and the Atlanta Braves," Smoltz said in a statement released by his agency. "There were large discrepancies between the offer from the Braves and offers from other teams. I have always loved the city of Atlanta, and it will always be my home. I will cherish my 21 years with Bobby Cox and all my Braves' teammates. I continue to wish the Atlanta Braves nothing but success in the future."


I always believed that John played the game because he loved to play. Now, we all see his true color, green. It will be said to see the Braves start the season with out him, but maybe we will have a pitcher that will not be on the bench most of the season. Good luck, Red Sox, on Keeping him healthy.

Via Fox Sports

No comments: