Monday, July 14, 2008

"Wounded In America"

(Memphis, Tenn) - The National Civil Rights Museum will display, Wounded in America
exhibition that focuses on survivors’ memories of gun violence as it occurs from the southern region of Alabama to the northern area of Brooklyn. The recent spate of gun violence in Memphis makes this exhibition especially topical and regrettably a mirror onto our own community.

The casualness of many images in this riveting exhibition of black and white photographs are a stark contrast to the accompanying text panels that tell individual stories – oral histories – in vivid detail of the survivors’ experience. Individuals featured in the this documentary project represent all types of Americans including innocent bystanders, victims of hate crimes, gang members,
police officers, children, the elderly, men and women, and diehard gun owners.

If you get the chance go to the "Wounded In America" web sight. No matter if you hate or love guns, the stories along with the pictures will keep you captivated for hours.

Here is just one.



I was wondering what was wrong with my legs

Damon: "It was Halloween. I had signed with Southern Illinois University on a basketball scholarship and we had a five day break so I went to Alabama with a buddy. I'm from Indianapolis and I'd never seen a 93 degree Halloween night before; I was in awe. We were there just four hours. We were staying with an old lady and she had me wash her ceilings because I was six feet eight inches tall. After that I went to the van to get my bag and my hair clippers, I was getting ready to take a shower and change, we were supposed to step out to a nightclub. I was in the driver's seat of the van and I had the driver's door open. I turned and saw three people. I looked at their faces and glanced down and I saw that the one in the middle had a gun. He shot and I slumped. He reached in and snatched my necklace off and he continued to shoot at my cousin who was also in the van.

"As soon as I got shot I was wondering what was wrong with my legs. I was thinking, man, they're trying to kill me down here. It all happened in the blink of an eye. I would have given them whatever they wanted if they'd asked, but they shot first.

I thought I was going to heal up overnight

"When I woke up I was in a helicopter on my way to the University of Alabama. I was shot one time in my left side. I was put into a medicated coma for two weeks because my left lung collapsed, the bullet had pierced my lung and lodged next to my spinal column. I had a tracheotomy, but considering my injury I healed pretty fast because I was in good shape. I wasn't able to talk for close to three months but I was thinking. I thought I was going to heal up overnight, that they were going to give me a shot or something, and then the reality started to settle in, it's going to be longer than I expected. I started to think about what I was going to do with my life, if I could have kids. I went from weighing 250 pounds to 160 pounds. A simple robbery, life changing; now I'm in a wheel chair.

"That same year I'd had a few professional basketball agents trying to get me to leave school early, but I chose to stay in school. Now in 2002 I'm just going back to school after my injury in 1996. I had to make sure I was physically strong enough and mentally ready, confident. I need forty-one hours to get my business degree.

I try to open their eyes

"This year I'm on the Indiana Pacers Wheelchair Basketball Team; it was a big step getting back on the court sitting down. I still have a lot of pain in my back and my legs; I look at the pain as part of my healing process. I'm still confident that one day I will get up.

"I work with Think First and Scared Stiff, we speak on brain and spinal cord injury prevention and against violence. We teach kids about life and dealing with injuries and about stereotypes like being in a wheel chair. I try to open their eyes about taking advantage of what they have now because they never know what the future has in store."


Via Civil Rights Museum and Wounded In America

No comments: